What is DNS enumeration?
DNS enumeration is the process of retrieving all available records that belong to a particular domain. This information gathering can be used during penetration testing or security assessments, to learn about the environment of a company.
The following security tools are linked to DNS enumeration and are worth investigating.
- Fierce (DNS reconnaissance tool)
- SubFinder (subdomain scanner)
- Subdomino (domain enumeration tool)
- Sublist3r (subdomains enumeration tool)
- Th3inspector (extensive information gathering tool)
- aiodnsbrute (asynchronous brute forcing DNS domain names)
- altdns (subdomain discovery tool)
- domain (setup script for Recon-ng and altdns)